ERP Coke depends heavily on the earth’s natural resources in order to produce a desirable and marketable product for its customers. For this reason ERP Coke recognizes the importance of preserving the earth’s natural environment and the necessity for the utilization of its natural resources
The air discharge or “Title V” permit is enforced by the Jefferson County Department of Health (JCDH).
- The air permit requires approximately (508,000) observations of air emission sources during a given year. There are (982) observations made daily, (55) observations made weekly, (991) observations made monthly, (134,528) observations made quarterly and (2) observations made annually.
- These observations are performed by personnel certified to properly identify emissions, employed by an independent third party contractor as required by the regulations.
- Both of the stacks for the Coke Oven batteries have Continuous Opacity Monitors which are well within permit limits.
- The No. 4 Boiler has a Continuous Emission Monitor which is maintained in full compliance.
- The controls of air emissions are accomplished by strong attention every shift to the following:
- Coke Oven Emissions Control
- Pushing Side Emissions Control
- Continuous Opacity Monitors on Battery Stacks
- Leak Detection And Repair Program
- Fugitive Dust Sprays
- Sweeping the Streets
- Wheel washer
The water discharge or NPDES permit is administered and enforced by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM).
- ERP Coke discharges water into Five Mile Creek which has been designated by ADEM as a “Fish & Wildlife” creek.
- The water discharge permit requires approximately 2,000 compliance samples to be taken each year.
- Additional samples are taken to assure internal controls are maintained.
- The controls of water discharge are accomplished by strong attention every shift to the following:
- Containment and Control of Rainwater Runoff
- Optimization of Process Water Contamination
- Monitoring of By Product Processes
- Proper operation of the Biological Treatment Facility